Friday, June 3

to publish or not to publish, that is the question...

here's the thing. i have written lots of poetry over the past few years and i love writing it - sometimes i might even share it with a couple of people. i notice, though, that some people have the confidence to publish poetry on their blogs. i am in awe of this and these people. when i was at school, poetry was something you picked apart until all the possible meaning was wrung out of it and what was left was a saggy bag of words. my english teacher once asked me to read out a poem in class and after asked how it made me feel. he then told me that my response was wrong. how can an emotional response be wrong?

this makes me really scared to publish anything but this is my blog and i am going to. therefore, please feel free to feel any way you want to, or , equally, to feel nothing at all as a result of reading any poetry i put up. so the following is something i wrote when i was on a 'mountain top'. right now i think i would express things differently but it is faith-building to remember and look forward.

GOD may 2000

you inspire my every thought
free postcards of refreshment
even as you breathe against my cheek
soft hairs rise - capturing your cares

did you kiss me? wrap your arms tight?
touch me deep within
take me into your dwelling place
make your dwelling place within my heart

you let me go
watch me run, jump, sing, weep
keep me warm under your wing - let me soar
speak to me, louder than silence

you are my perfection
a perfect beginning to life
my eyes ahut tight to see your glory
my heart's door is open-wide
come Lord

i see the sun in its brightness
i hear the sea sweat and rage
i know your embracing presence
you are all i need - God - all i need

forgive me
love me
lead me

No comments: