Monday, March 10

if you love the poor you can name them.

the title of this post is a quote by shane claiborne from the simple way community in philadelphia. i have heard shane speak several times and he is always challenging, provocative and oozing grace. but i have never heard him say this quote about the poor.

and it really hits home. it is uncomfortable because for me i think i do love the poor and feel i stand strong against injustice but then i think to myself, "who are the poor in my life?" and i start to struggle. i can remember the poor from my past who i used to hang out with and even gave a roof over the head to but not now. and it's easy to think nice thoughts that comfort me in my happy middle class existence such as, 'but i'm loving those i'm in community with', or 'i'm focusing my energy on fighting for justice for local farmers and local businesses', or 'God has me fighting a massive battle of justice right now and i don't have time for anything else'. these things are all true but, as shane points out, when jesus tells the story about the beggar lazarus sitting outside the rich man's gates, only the beggar is given a name and it is lazarus, the poor beggar, who God saves. just like God saves the widows and the orphans and those in slavery or excluded from society.

i don't know where to move on to from this point. just know that i am challenged by it. what does it mean to love the poor if not to be in relationship with them and know their name? to know their lives and troubles and sadness but also their joy and celebration.

No comments: